As recently as 1981, no mainframe automation systems were available for report distribution and management. Reams of paper were printed in the data center, then studied line-by line and page-by-page to find and extract useful information. Details were manually retyped into meaningful reports, which were then mailed, shipped or hand-carried to the user. Information distribution was expensive. Reports were often too late and full of errors. As data centers grew, so did the problems of reporting, distributing and tracking information. Not to mention the forests destroyed to supply all that paper.
Mantissa recognized these challenges to enterprise efficiency, and responded by creating the first truly automated report management system for the mainframe environment. Since then, we have continued to develop high-peformance, heavy-duty software for datacenter automation, and we continue to evolve along with the marketplace by expanding and improving upon our flagship products, as well as innovating and cultivating new ideas along the way.
Here is a brief list of some of the things we’ve achieved over nearly three decades of experience:
- 1981 — Mantissa delivers first fully-automated report distribution system.
- 1983 — 100th customer
- 1984 — First online report viewing system is delivered
- 1985 — 300th customer
- 1987 — Begins shipping RMS/Spool
- 1989 — 500th customer
- 1990 — Initial release of RMS/DeskTop
- 1994 — Over 20,000 copies of RMS/DeskTop v1 installed
- 1998 — Mantissa products are now installed on 6 continents & 20 countries.
- 1999 — All Mantissa products are made Y2K compliant
- 2000 — RMS/WebAccess is released.
- 2002 — RMS/DeskTop Archiver is released.
- 2005 — iDT Server is released.
- 2006 — Initial release of iDovos
- 2008 — RMS/Spool v11.35 is released.
- 2008 — RMS/DeskTop v3.23
- 2009 — Mantissa anticipates the release of z86VM
- 2010 — Design of x86 Instruction Certification System Completed
- 2011 — Development/Testing of x86 Instruction Certification System Completed
- 2012 — In-sourced Development Environment from IBM Dallas
- 2013 — z86VM Beta 1 (DSL Linux) and Beta 2 (SME Linux) ship
- 2014 — z86VM Beta 3 (DSL Linux, SME Linux, LAMP Stack, WordPress) ships